Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Resume

My professional life has taken many unexpected twists and turns.

For a few years I was the personal assistant of a senior pastor/evangelist (which involved event booking, publicity, etc.). With an anticipated future in ministry, these were crucial years for me, both spiritually and professionally. I learned a LOT during that time period.

Then God used a change of heart to direct me down a different path.

For a while I spent time building my writing portfolio, freelancing, and offering consulting services—finally making use of that BA in English.

My “big break,” you could say, came when I joined Tate as an Editor (most editorial positions in this industry start with copyediting, internships, or performing as editorial assistants). Later I moved up to Associate Conceptual Editor (managerial position). In 2008, executive staff asked me to join the marketing staff. So almost two years later, here I am.

I am a returning judge for the ECPA (Evangelical Christian Publishers Association) book awards, a member of the Young-to-Publishing association (an offshoot of the Association of American Publishers), and various other industry-minded organizations. I’ve edited hundreds of books and have been involved in the marketing of a great collection of titles. Authors I’ve worked with have been featured on national television (interviews, etc.), reviewed in numerous publications, won prestigious awards, and found success in building a brand and retaining a readership (which translates into sales).

I can’t tell you how fulfilling it is to wake up every morning excited about my work day. Oh, sometimes the menial things get to me—just like they do to everyone else—but at the end of the day, I know that because of what I’ve done, God has the opportunity to impact another life.

Years ago, when I was a simple sixteen year old with great dreams for my future, I felt lead to the ministry. I assumed that meant as a pastor’s wife with a ministry to hurting teenage hearts. Then, as I stated above, God redirected my path.

For years I thought that I had misunderstood him, writing off that “calling” as a youthful, impetuous dream manufactured by emotions and the desire to please those around me.

But I didn’t misunderstand him. All of us, as Christians, are called to ministry. It just looks different. In my life, ministry is in helping authors spread the message and passion God has given them, showing love to fellow Christians (both in my personal and professional life), and taking advantage of every opportunity I can to point someone to Christ.

So that is how I approach every task I get to do for my authors: this is real-time ministry. It’s using the skills, gifts, and interests God has given us to change others’ lives.

When you boil it down, that’s really all that matters.

Question: So what about you? What does the call to ministry look like in your life?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda. So glad you started a blog - I feel much more caught up on your life and family now. :) That's so great that you genuinely love what you do every day, and have found (and followed) your unique ministry calling!

    As for your question, I'm honestly still not sure what it looks like in my life. A variety of little things, I guess. I also have the encourager personality you mentioned... and I think that loving and building others up can definitely be a form of "real-time ministry," as you put it. I would actually love to get into writing Christian books in the future (so yes, I just checked out Tate Publishing's website) -- but we'll see what God has in store!

    Anyway, sorry for the ultra-long comment. Love the blog, and glad you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lindsay!! You look great! (sorry, it's been a while!).

    One thing I've learned is that we don't always know where we'll end up. Each step we take is crucial--even if we don't realize it.

    Just finished a great book titled "LOST MISSION" by Athol Dickson, and the whole theme is about that. I encourage you to check it out!

    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda, I admire your ambition and agree with your belief that there's no point to a blog if it isn't at least a little fun. It warms my heart because of what you've done at the end of the day God has the opportunity to impact another life. Wow!!
    God bless you always,
    Adeline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Amanda,

    You really are the greatest editor in the world! I learned so much from you that will forever impact my writing in a very positive way! You are the best! Thanks for all you've done for me! (i.e. You know that 4 star rating from Romantic Times had MUCH to do with your guidance as an editor!)Everything you do impacts someone and I'm one of those someones who is eternally grateful for the way you shared your expertise...there's just no one out there like you. I know God allowed me the privilege of having you as my editor...not once, but twice!

    Wishing you all the best as you continue to be in his service!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete